June 11, 2009

that's why they call them accidents, folks.

I was at my internship yesterday, fact-checking and writing galore. The clock hit 2:00 and it was time for me to go home. I was thrilled. I got in my car, put on some tunes, and hit Thomas rd. I contemplated stopping at Target. I needed...no I wanted to get a few things. I decided not too because I wanted to get home and catch some rays.
That was dumb.
As I approached the intersection of Thomas and Hayden the light turned red. So naturally, I stopped. As the light turned green, I pressed gently on the gas, and proceeded to go foward. Only to be smashed by a car who ran a red light.
I don't really know how to describe what, or how it happened, because it happened so incredibly fast.
The first thing I thought was...I'm OK.
Then...shit, this isn't my car i'm driving.
Then...crap, the people in the other car don't look OK.
Then...omg, was this my fault?
my eye then shifted to the public transportation vehicle, a bus, on the other side of the street. He was practically the same distance out as I was...and it clicked that it was a green light. The bus got hit too.
I sat in my car, in shock.
The officers were there in seconds, followed by three ambulances. (kudos Arizona!) They rushed to the scene to make sure everyone was alright.
They then told me to get out of the car, because the airbag didn't go off, and could at any second.
I asked the officer if the people in the other car were OK.
She said "they're alive."

So there I am, standing on the side of the road, in an unfamiliar town, alone.
As I stood there, I watched everyone else in the accident get strapped up on boards with suffocating neck braces, and taken to the E.R.

I was lucky enough to leave with a sprained wrist, ankle, and a bruised colarbone.

As lucky as totaling your aunts car can get I guess.

No comments: